On Monday, Scottish National Party (SNP) leader Nicola Sturgeon delivered the political bombshell that Westminster elites were expecting, albeit much sooner than anticipated. She announced that she is introducing a vote to the Scottish Parliament for a second Scottish Independence referendum. Sturgeon anticipates holding the vote sometime between autumn 2018 and spring of 2019. Here’s […]
Almost 25 years ago, the Soviet Union crumbled under the weight of dissent within its 15 republics — including the largest, the Russian Federation. At the time, much of the West hailed the regime shift as the inevitable victory of the Anglo-European capitalist model of liberal economics and democratic governance. But it’s very possible that […]
Do the British feel European? After Britain’s June 23 referendum on membership in the European Union, there was no shortage of incisive commentary interpreting the country’s Leave vote in light of attitudes toward immigration, economic inequality, globalization and democracy. Yet there was far less discussion of questions that arguably were central to people’s votes. How do people think and […]
In many respects, the referendum on the European Union presented British voters with a choice over the past or the future. The “Leave” campaign summoned up images of a sovereign nation with more jobs, higher wages and better public services — a Britain as it supposedly was before becoming tangled in E.U. regulations and overrun […]
After a bitter referendum campaign, the United Kingdom has voted for “Brexit,” taking the decision to leave the European Union. This is the first time that the E.U. has lost a member, and will have dramatic consequences for European politics. Although the United Kingdom has sometimes been an uncomfortable member of the E.U. , it has played […]
What does this vote mean for the U.K., the U.S., the EU, and the world?
The post #BREXIT: The UK Has Voted to Leave the EU … NOW What Happens?? appeared first on RedState.
Interesting choice of words.
The post BREAKING: David Cameron STEPS DOWN as UK Prime Minister After #Brexit Vote (VIDEO) appeared first on RedState.
A couple of months ago, we reported on the success of European researcher Nikos Askitas in performing real-time tracking of public opinion on referendums using a very simple comparison of hourly Google searches. Askitas did a good job on the Irish referendum on same-sex marriage and on the Greek referendum on economic policy. Thursday is the […]
Some parts of the British LGBT community, such as the organization Out and Proud, have argued that, in Thursday’s Brexit referendum, voters should choose to leave the European Union. They suggest that could be good for LGBT rights, pointing to the limits on LGBT rights in some other E.U. member states, such as Poland, and suggesting that these countries’ […]
British citizens will vote Thursday on whether to leave or remain in the European Union. Prediction markets are estimating that voters in the United Kingdom have a 25 percent likelihood of deciding in favor of a British exit from the E.U. — or Brexit — and a 75 percent likelihood of opting to remain in the E.U. Meanwhile, the HuffingtonPost […]